Star Trek: Poseidon
Introduction to Starfleet
The Federation Starfleet, also known simply as Starfleet or Star Fleet, is the exploratory and defensive force of the United Federation of Planets. Starfleet's function is to explore unknown territory on behalf of the Federation government, to defend the Federation and its allies from threats, to further Federation policies and interests throughout interstellar space, and, when applicable, to initiate first contact with newly-discovered worlds and engage in diplomatic negotiations on the behalf of the Federation. As per its mandate of deep-space exploration, its personnel are frequently brought into contact with cultures and sentient species whose existences are unknown to the Federation. Starfleet officers therefor act as official representatives of the Federation in these cases. Starfleet vessels are often frequently used to ferry ambassadors on diplomatic missions.
Divisions & Functions
Main Article: Starfleet Departments
Starfleet is broken down into a number of command units to facilitate operations, each command headed by an Admiral. They include:
- Galaxy Exploration Command (GXC) — This command section is responsible for exploration, science, and diplomacy conducted by Starfleet. GXC conflicts heavily with the MOC for both resources and to win hearts and minds as the Federation frontier expands further.
- Military Operations Command (MOC) — This command section is responsible for all Starfleet military operations, and directs other divisions during times of war. As the MOC is the largest and most influential of all command divisions, they often are in direct competition with other command units for resources and influence.
- Ground Operations Command (GOC) — A specialized command section within the MOC, the GOC is concerned with maintaining Starfleet's Marines and Ground Forces, including the support vessels and infrastructure to conduct extended operations beyond the Federation's borders.
- Support Operations Command (SOC) — This command section is responsible for maintaining Starfleet's logistics network throughout the Federation, including supply ships and starbases. While not as glamorous as the GXC or MOC, the SOC is considered vital to keeping personnel supplied on the frontier of Federation space.
- Search and Rescue Command (SRC) — This command section works in tandem with the SOC with its fleet of patrol cutters, along with maintaining navigational aids and subspace repeaters. While considered boring by Humans, many Andorians consider the SRC to be the division of choice.
- Judge Advocate General (JAG) — Responsible for law and order within Starfleet and in areas lacking civil authority, the Judge Advocate Generals are some of the brightest legal minds in the galaxy, often consulted for their knowledge by the GXC when negotiating with new races. They are also responsible for the Starfleet Rangers.
- Starfleet Intelligence Service (SIS) — Despite numerous entertainment vids, the SIS rarely employs the use of spies within foreign empires. At least, that anyone knows about. Most SIS operations involve collecting the vast amounts of information collected by sensor arrays, starship sensors, and passing rumors and blips of information into collective reports available to starbase and starship commanders. Among their duties are also counter intelligence, combating the threat of enemy agents seeking to sabotage Starfleet operations.